2017 will be the 50th anniversary of the formation of The Bromeliad Society of Queensland. Many plants have passed through the doors of the society and almost as many members have attended meetings, functions, events, open days and many other ‘Bromeliad Happenings’.
We are planning to make this a year to remember and so there will be many activities taking place as part of the celebration. We’ll try to keep you advised of progress so watch this page, the Newsletter and Bromeliaceae for more information.
Some starters include:
- Society Dinner (or maybe lunch). This would involve a luncheon to celebrate the anniversary. It will be held in late January/early February 2017 to celebrate the occasion. Past Presidents and Life Members will be invited as guests. Other past members will be contacted where possible to attend.
The Bromeliad Society of Queensland Inc.
50th Anniversary Dinner
Saturday 4 February 2017
Easts Rugby League Club
40 Main Street, Coorparoo.
Jerry Coleby-Williams of Gardening Australia
The lunch will recognise our past presidents and office bearers and include magic show, raffles and lucky door prizes.
Cost: $40 per person (members and their guests).
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP
Payments preferred as Direct deposit to ( BSQ – BSB 124 057 Acct 21663949)
Alternatively post a cheque or pay at the January Meeting (cash or credit card)
We welcome past members to come and renew friendships. We have scheduled this as a daytime event to enable folk who don’t drive at night to attend. Please pass this on to anyone you would like to see there!
- Release of an Anniversary Plant.
- Vriesea ‘BSQ Golden Jubilee’ was hybridized and registered by Mal and Michelle Cameron as part of the celebration. The plant provides a mature rosette to 40cms diameter. Broad, recurving leaves with lime green / cream longitudinal lines, filagree-like green crossbanding and burgundy / black leaf tips. Foliage reverse is a pronounced pink.
- Seed parent was: The Daintree and the pollen parent was : fenestralis
- Bromeliaceae Special Edition. A special Golden Edition of the journal will be published. This will be in A4 format and may include articles on the history of the society as well as some biographic details of life members. We will also try to get some stories of the early days from a member perspective. We are hoping that it will be a full colour edition.
- Movie/Slide Presentation. If we can gather the resources, we will produce a pictorial history of the society in a slide show on a DVD format. We are also looking at creating a movie that has some interviews from some of our older members that tells some stories of the early days of bromeliads in Queensland.
- Electronic copies of all journals. This will involve scanning as many copies of Bromeliaceae as possible. Initial focus will be the colour journals from 199X forwards and then we’ll move onto the others. Work has commenced and these will be progressively added to the web site.
- Listing of Journal Articles. A listing of all articles will be compiled in a sheet.
We will keep you informed of progress through the monthly newsletter and at meetings.