A range of bromeliad books are reviewed here. The books cover a wide range of topics. Some are of general interest, while others are of more specialised interest.
Some points about the reviews:
- The main focus is on books that are at least partially written in English.
- They mainly cover books that have been published from 1995 onwards, although some older ones are reviewed.
- The comments are accurate at the year of the review (shown at the bottom of each review), but circumstances change over time. For example, a book which may provide the best coverage on a particular topic in 1995, may not do so by 2010.
- Some reviews discuss the relevance of information in the book on growing bromeliads. Growing conditions vary enormously around the world, and the reviewer’s comments focus on whether the book’s advice is relevant to people living in the sub-tropics. (This is where most of the Bromeliad Society of Queensland’s members live).
The best general introductory book is probably Bromeliads: A Cultural Manual. While this book is quite short, it provides a good overview.
If you would like some more detail on the characteristics of different types of bromeliads and their growing requirements, then there are two books which are well worth considering.
If you live in the sub-tropics or tropics, have a look at Starting with Bromeliads (new edition now available – 2021). For those who live in cooler climates, consider Bromeliads for the Contemporary Garden.
All three books can be purchased, by people living in Australia, from the Bromeliad Society of Queensland. (See “Book Sources” below).
We are always looking for more books to review. If you have published a book and would like us to review it please Contact Us.
Bob Reilly is our book reviewer and has contributed all the reviews on this website.
Few bromeliad books are available in general bookstores. The following sources stock a range of bromeliad books. Please contact them to determine price, availability and related matters.
- Bromeliad Society of Queensland
- Anwyl Bromeliads
- Bromeliad Society International
- Rainbow Gardens Book Shop
Bromeliad books can sometimes also be bought through ‘on line’ sources such as eBay.